Friday, September 14, 2012

Zurich-bound

When I took a Swiss Air flight from Florence to Zurich, the 'James Bond' Music was playing in my head. I was heading off to the city of spies and black money. This is where the illegitimately rich stashed away their fortunes. Switzerland long ago stopped being the country of chocolates and Heidi for me. If the country represented anything for me, it was the great Roger Federer.

As the plane flew over the Alps, a niggling thought went through my mind...Was the country in the Schengen zone? It was after all, NOT a member of the European Union. There were no controls in Florence so I figured I should be alright or in the worst-case get deported back to Italy. There were, of course, no checks in Zurich and something about the city immediately appealed to me.

My Austrian friends warned about the "mean Swiss" but once again, people were super nice to me when I asked for directions in German. Friday evening was peaceful in the city. As I crossed the bridge into the right side of the river, I saw the beautiful churches of the old town or altstadt: St Peter's and the Fraumunster.

I could breathe the pristine Swiss air in Zurich.


No comments:

Post a Comment