Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mumbai Marathon 2012: All Glory!!

When I walked into the holding area for the marathon runners at the Azad Maidan yesterday, there wasn't an inkling of doubt in my mind about how I would perform in the marathon. Yes, my preparations were plagued with illnesses at the wrong time and the knee that I injured during the Delhi Half Marathon could have posed a problem for me. But this was about me running my marathon in my city...

It started off wonderfully well. I initially stuck to the 5 hour and 30 minute pacers. Rahul Verghese and Tanvir from Running and Living were the bull's eyes that I focused on. The weather was perfect and the city was beautiful in the early morning, well before sunrise. Despite the run starting early, Bombayites turned up in large numbers. The marathon means a lot to this city and the crowd support was a huge help to me.

The first 20-odd kilometres were like the gentle sea breeze in the morning. We negotiated Haji Ali, Worli and the Sea Link without a hint of problems. But the knee that I injured in Delhi started acting up and I struggled till the 24 kilometre mark. The medical team suggested that I pull out or take it really easy. No force on earth was going to make me pull out on that wonderful day.

Cheered on by the voiceferous crowd, I put in everything and like last year, got a burst of energy at Caddell Road, near Shivaji Park from the wonderful locals. My father lived near Shivaji Park in the 1960s and always told me how wonderful the people there are. How right he was!! I think it's the sporting tradition of the park, which has produced some outstanding sportsmen that the faithful of the area encourage athletes.

We were pleasantly surprised to be cheered by the policemen on duty!

It started getting more difficult the second time around Worli Sea Face, when we had to run all the way till the Prabhadevi end. Once again, I was encouraged by the locals. In fact, I caught a glimpse of the 5 and a half hour pacers who were ahead of me and Tanvir urged me to keep going. That, I was going to do. 31 kilometres and on the sea face, a few kids offering biscuits and water... and I am talking 7 and 8-year olds told me "Uncle, keep going, just 11 kilometres left."

The most difficult part was to come. The stretch from Worli Sea Face to Haji Ali felt like 20 kilometres in itself!! The sun was out and it was getting warmer. The voices in my head started telling me that my knee wouldn't let me finish in the heat. After all, there was the climb up Pedder Road. I just had to tell the voices in my head to shut up! The much-dreaded climb past Jaslok Hopsital and the Russian Cultural Centre was rather easy.

Past Babulnath and on Marine Drive, less than 5 kilometres separated me from the finish line. By this time, it was more mental than physical. I suddenly realised that it was quite a distance from Churney Road to Marine Lines and from Marine Lines to Churchgate. I was at Talk of the Town and closing in on the Flora Fountain and yes, the glory of Victoria Terminus and the finish line beckoned me. 500 metres, 200 metres and yes, I DID IT!!!!! 42.195 kms.. I was a marathoner!!! Almost 24 hours after it was all over, the feeling hasn't sunk in yet.

I need to thank Rahul Verghese, Tanvir and the Running and Living Team. Please check out their website. http://runningandliving.com/ These are a wonderful set of people, who encourage and promote long distance running. Thank you guys..if it weren't for you, I wouldn't have had a prayer of finishing.

I also want to thank the people of Marine Drive, SHIVAJI PARK, Pedder Road, Worli Sea Face, Prabhadevi, Mahim and Girgaum Chowpatty for coming out and cheering us. It's people like you that make this one of the greatest cities in the world. I am proud to be a Bombayite and days like yesterday make me prouder to have been born and to live in this city.

Special congratulations to my friend Bjorn Eklund, who came all the way from Stockholm and set the roads of the city on fire, completing the marathon in good time. He ran for a good cause (for AAWC, a charity that supports children of commercial sex workers).

And finally, kudos to Procam for organising a flawless event. The route was altered, making the run easier and volunteers and event crew helped make the run smooth and fun.

18 comments:

  1. Good work, marathoner!!! Warm hugs from one of your Sakhalin fans..
    *Ana-Banana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Read Ajay - and phenomenal to hear you finish your first - those battles in the mind and other physical battles won - you ARE a champ. May you inspire thousands of people to get into running.
    Best Regards
    Rahul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Rahul... I am definitely going to join you guys in future long distance runs..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Ajay!.. I'm SOOOOO happy for you!..
    Very inspiring read :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spassibaaa Darimachkaaa! Now, it's your turn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing. Great read! Congrats..

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just read ur blog. superb aj. and you get an interesting book from me for finishing the full marathon. cheers suyash

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Ajay, really a nice report on the race. It is good to see you emrge victorious from this battle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome my friend ... awesome !

    - Zarir Karbhari

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats .. Gr8 Feat !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! you finally did it! awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete