Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mumbai Marathon 2011- A Great Moral Victory

Suffering from bronchitis and a fever, I was unsure until this morning whether I should run the marathon. I decided to turn up and at least feel the excitement of the start, even if that meant running for just a few kilometres. But when I saw the beautiful Victoria Terminus illuminated early morning, the adrenaline rush was strong enough for me to give this a real go.

The organizers got almost everything right and they did a magnificent job. It was amazing seeing lights of Marine Drive switch off in the morning as I ran past the best stretch of the city. Bombayites turned up in large numbers to cheer the runners and I am soo grateful to those folks that encouraged me as I struggled. Special mention to the audience on Marine Drive, Pedder Road, Worli Sea Face and ESPECIALLY Caddell Road. On the Worli Sea Face, which I crossed twice, angels disguised as children were volunteers, who handed us water.

Despite being in the unbelievable discomfort I managed to be on track until I reached the Bandra-Worli Sea Link. It takes 7 minutes by car and an eternity to run. By the time I was on the bridge, the sun was at its worst and many runners were cramping. The organisers should have had more people on the bridge or better yet, next year avoid that as a place to run on.

I had completed 32 kilometres in 4 hours and crossed over into Worli when the sun was just too strong and I would not have been able to survive the climb after Haji Ali. So, after giving it my all for those 4 hours, I just could not go on longer. But for the first time in my life, I realised what a moral victory is. Against all odds, I gave it my all and was within 10 kilometres of finishing. If this run was in a cooler place, I would have able to
follow through but the Bombay Sun was 1 obstacle too many given what I was battling.

The media will carry stories about some celebrities doing the 6 km dream run and some models doing longer versions but the real heroes of the city were the ones I ran with. The 60-year old Aunty who was encouraging young men on the bridge to run. Scores of others who were cramped on the sea link but decided that nothing would stop them from crossing the finish line even if they had to walk on sidewalks after traffic was thrown open. YOU ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I've been living on and off in my hometown for sometime now and very few times did I feel gratitude to the wonderful inhabitants of this city than I did today. Thank You Bombay. It's because of you that I gave it my all today.

Oh and this post would not be complete unless I thanked my best friend Suyash. He was the one who talked me out of running on after the 32 K mark. If Haji Ali didn't kill me, Pedder Road would have. Instead I recuperated in his flat off Worli Sea Face.

POSTSCRIPT


A day after writing about how well the marathon was organised, I was shocked and saddened to get a message from my friend Wolfgang. He absolutely set the roads of Bombay on fire with his running and was leading among the amateurs by a long way but the organisers at Worli Sea Face diverted him back towards Poddar Hospital instead of letting him go all the way ahead towards Haji Ali and he dropped out.


Wolfgang Bergthaler from Facebook

I gave up (leading the amateur's race) at km 32, after I was sent on a de-tour by the organisers. Thnx guys, but I was not interested to run 45km and lose 10 minutes!

Is it possible that the two girls who were accused of cheating were actually diverted the wrong way by the incompetent staff at the sea face?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/athletics/Top-two-Indian-female-finishers-in-Mumbai-Marathon-disqualified/articleshow/7298746.cms

16 comments:

  1. Congrats Ajay on a great effort. I also ran on Sunday was royally screwed on the Sea Link. I hope they take it off next year's full marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rehan

    I am with you on the Sea Link part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome. we all love a good moral victory :) congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very inspiring, Ajay, thank you...
    in fact after reading this I've started thinking of running a marathon too :) fitness was one of my resolutions for 2011... and I guess it's more of doing something one has never done before!..
    keep it up, very happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Darima

    I suggest you start with a few 10ks and then do a few 21ks and so on. My next one is definitely a 21k :)

    RK

    Thanks, I think

    ReplyDelete
  6. ну ты молодец!!

    Поздравляю!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos Ajay

    You got heart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Felicitaciones amigo! Im proud of you!!

    Vichy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting read! *Thumbs up* I am sure that you must have been an inspiration to many! Congrats on your moral victory!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great read.. saddened by what you have written about Wolfgang and the diversion someone should ask them reasons for it.. hope they have good ones!

    Mentioned your blog here: http://blog.soulcare.in/mumbai-marathon-a-melting-pot-of-touching-exp hope thats cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Nadia.

    No probs with the mention at all, in fact I am honoured :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. As for Wolfgang's experience, we sent Procam an email and are awaiting a response

    ReplyDelete