Sunday, August 12, 2012

Viva Napoli

There was a sense of coming home when my train entered the platform of the Naples Central Railway Station. It was a lifelong dream for me to visit the great city in southern Italy since I was child. Maybe it had something to do with the Dean Martin song "Amore" or the fact that I grew up in a neighbourhood in New York that had pizzerias serving Naples-style pizza. The home-coming may also have had to do with the fact that Naples has a lot in common with Bombay.

Spending time in the city made me nostalgic and thought about the older Italian men playing bocci in the afternoons in Queens. The people in the south looked more like the Italians you encounter in America.

They say you get the best pizza in the world in Naples and I can now certify that. The taste is out of this world and it will be tough for me to appreciate a margherita again...

No comments:

Post a Comment