Monday, August 13, 2012

Napoli: Italy's Grafitti Capital

Before I write any further, I would like to set the record straight. I love Naples and the wonderful people that live in the great city.

Now that I got that disclaimer out of the way, here are some frank expressions on the city, which can easily be called the Bombay of Italy. My dear Italian professor in Bombay once commented that Naples resembles the Kalbadevi area of Bombay. I am inclined to agree that this is the case on a small scale as Naples just has a population of 1.5 million and the sheer madness of Kalbadevi on a weekday afternoon cannot be matched.

There are several points in Naples that offer great views of Mt Vesuvius and the Gulf of Naples. What distrubed me was the fact that most beautiful areas of the city have been trashed by grafitti. I fail to understand how people can be driven to destroy their heritage. It's one thing to spray paint newer structures on hills, but something else to vandalize old piazzas. Thankfully, the Galleria Umberto, one of the most beautiful buildings in all of Italy, has been left alone by the vandals, but the Piazza del Plesbicito, the most famous public square of the city has been desecrated by the grafitti punks. They haven't even spared the church on the square.

A lot of churches have been attacked by these "artists." Many of India's monuments have also been desecrated by idiots but the sheer scale of vandalism in the beautiful city of Naples shocked me.

No comments:

Post a Comment