Monday, August 13, 2012

Don't talk to psychopaths!

Every country has its share of loonies and as I was to discover, Italy is no exception. On the Circumvesuviano Train from Sorrento to Naples, I interacted with many of the fellow passengers. They were suprised that I wasn't a Bangladeshi immigrant but rather an Indian journalist studying in Italy. In fact, I met a lot of wonderful people on the streets of Naples who were happy to see a  "real Indian." I have to admist that I did feel special, like a star :)

Getting back to that train ride, there was a nice man sitting next to me in the train, who looked a bit like the all-time great baseball manager, Tommy Lasorda. The man knew some Bengali as well and befriended me talking about Buddhism and Christianity, analysing both religions. So far, so good. He then told me that he could show me a couple of places in the city as he had some free time. What a nice man, or so I thought!

I should have gotten a hint when he saw some young boys in one of the station and commented that they were sundar purushes as he put it (beautiful men in Hindi)! After we reached Naples, we took a bus and then I noticed that his affection was making me uncomfortable. He started holding my hand but then I thought it's a Southern Italian way of being nice. When he tried to touch my knees and my back, I asked him to stop.

Out of the bus and in a nice area of the city, I wanted to thank him for showing me around and leave. Then comes the question: "Have you ever made love with a man?" I told him that I haven't and don't want to. He then said Indians and Bengalis like to take it slow. I politely told him that I am not interested. He then told me that he was a leader in the Neapolation Mafia called the Camorra and that he could be dangerous. I didn't respond to that and he then said, we could meet in Siena. I doubt the man would come all the way here, but I can safely say that this is the first time in my life that getting friendly with a stranger put me in such a situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment