Thursday, December 1, 2011

Whatever happened to the life we once knew in Delhi

When I visited this city in 1996, I loved seeing beautiful single-story cottages everywhere. Such kind of living was impossible in Bombay. My hometown has such a scarcity of land, making living in an independent house a pipe-dream.

In 2000, I noticed that most single-floor villas were converted into 3 floor houses. While that charm of yesteryear was gone, the houses still made a pretty site. Now in 2011, with property prices at ridiculous levels, people are handing over their land to builders and the houses are being converted into ugly appartment buildings. What a pity that a new generation in this grandoise city will never experience the thrill of living in an independent house in a big city! I am sure that Delhites don't want their city to look like Bombay but the lure of money is too much for them to not turn their houses into ugly appartment buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment