Monday, December 19, 2011

Section 420 for cabbies and rickshaw-wallahs in Bombay?

The Mumbai Mirror reported today that auto and tax drivers that rig meters could end up spending time in the slammer. Now instead of paying a maximum fine of Rs 2600, cabbies and auto-rickshaw drivers will be subject to a police complaint under section 420 of the Indian Penal Code.

I welcome this move. Most taxi drivers don't rig meters but I wish I could say the same about those who drive autos in Mumbai. These guys are better than their counterparts in Bangalore, Chennai and Delhi, but many do rig their meters. When the Wadala Regional Transport Office caught auto drivers rigging meters in Santa Cruz, the fares suddenly dropped and people were paying less money for short and long rides. Then of course, the auto drivers agitated and got their way with increased fares.
 
Problem solved right? Wrong. Even after getting a hike, auto drivers started rigging meters. It irritated me so much that I decided to get to Santa Cruz station early on weekends so that I could take a bus to university for my Italian class. I save money and don't have to deal with the band of cheats that wait for 'fools' outside Santa Cruz station.

It's comforting to know that they get jail time if they attempt to cheat passengers.

Read more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment