Sunday, December 11, 2011

Gujju Pijja

Anyone who reads this blog, knows how much I adore Gujaratis. They are an enterprising community that have mastered the art of business and take prosperity wherever they go, be it India, Africa or North America. I was born in pre-dominantly Gujarati Vile-Parle in suburban Bombay.

What amuses me among other things about Gujaratis is the way they make an adapted vegetarian version of just about any kind of food. After enjoying my favourite (and over-priced) pav bhaji at Shiv Sagar in very-Gujarati Juhu, a German friend and I decided to go completely Gujju. We ordered a "curry pizza."

Photo Courtesy: Stefan Mey


A curry pizza, apparently a favourite among the faithful of Juhu- Vile Parle Development Scheme, is made of peas, potatoes and curd. Yup, curd replaces the cheese! And a sweet salsa accompanies the delicacy. It had an odd and sour taste and the salsa wasn't exactly my idea of delicious. But, one man's meat is another man's poison.

No comments:

Post a Comment