Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Wonderful Year Gone By

While I am not exactly sad to see this year go, I have to admit that this has been one of my better years.

It's almost ironic that the only nights I saw a sky full of stars were the ones I spent in Africa. That stunning equatorial sky over the Serengetti-Masai Mara was the most star-filled sky I had seen in years until I saw an even more amazing sight in a place called Malindi. There the stars twinkled and the air was absolutely as pure as anything I have ever breathed.

I got so closely drawn to Portugal by being in its former colonies. Time stood still when I sat at the plaza in front of the Sao Tome Chruch in Diu. The well-lit white-washed baroque church is one of India's many hidden treasures. The feeling of anticipation of the 15th century Portuguese Fleet felt the same way it did from the walls of the Fort Jesus of Mombasa as it did from the Diu Fort. It is one ocean after all.

Maybe it was the wettest Bombay monsoon I had ever experienced or the rediscovery of various festivals in the great city like Ganesh Chaturthi, Diwali and Ramzan Eid. Or that beautiful Saturday afternoon in Kuala Lumpur when I explored its Chinatown and walked from the city market to the Merdeka Square.

Could have been the week in Vietnam, when old friendships were strengthened and I saw for myself the spirit  of the Vietnamese people. The bikers of Saigon, Pho, Vietnamese Pop and the wonderful strangers I made friends with.

Delicious street food in Chandni Chowk after long conversations with gold and bullion merchants. Listening to  global leaders at the World Economic Forum's India Summit. Running every one of those 21 kilometres in the most beautiful areas of New Delhi.

French lessons every evening, Italiano on weekends, evening and morning runs on Juhu Beach.

A Sunday when it looked like I had seen every stretch of beautiful coastline from Kalutara to Matara and back. Barbeque dinners by the ocean in Hikkaduwa. Welcoming a new day at the Temple of the Tooth in Kandy, after a gap of 5 long years. Sunset at the Galle Fort.

Crowded local trains in Bombay, the sight of shepherds in the university campus in Kalina. Cheap movie tickets for nice films in the morning. Watching the not-so nice films with "hard-core" locals in the Marathi heartland in Dadar.

Walking through the pols of Ahmedabad's Old City and having a feast of a Gujarathi Thali on the west bank of the Sabarmati. Paying tribute to the Mahatma at Sabarmati and Porbandar. Soaking in the phenomenal architecture of Junagadh and climbing Girnar Hill and being at the highest point in Gujarat.

Looking back at this phenomenal year, there is just emotion that comes across my mind: Gratitude!

2 comments:

  1. quite an eventful year, isn't it?.. I'm happy for you...
    Keep it up, 'Ajay in Bombay' :)

    ReplyDelete