Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I'm in Dadar er Bombay Central

बस अभी दो मिनिट में पोहेंचेगा. (I'll be there in 2 minutes). When someone in Bombay says that he usually means 10 minutes. It's a very Indian trait to buy time when late. One thing I have noticed on the city's local trains is how much people actually lie on the phone about where they are.

It's common to hear someone in a train say that the train has crossed a few more stations than it actually has. This is something I think I hear almost every single day. Last week, I heard someone desperately plead with a loved one that he would get home soon and that he was in Dadar. Seconds later, there was an announcement in the train that the next stop is Mumbai Central. The announcement was loud enough to be heard on the other end of the phone. Guess that man would not have had a nice dinner when he got home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment