Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Third Generation Service from a Third Class Company

I have several reasons to dislike Anil Ambani, one of India's richest oligarchs. Since his Reliance Energy took over power distribution in Bombay's suburbs, my electricity bills have progressively risen with almost no explanation. They can brag about there being no power cuts but even when BSES was distributing power, we had no power cuts. In exceptional circumstances when there was a power cut, BSES employees were more polite and prompt in their response.

The Anil Ambani group is also constructing the Versova-Ghatkopar Metro Rail project that goes through my area. Besides being slow, their work is incredibly messy when compared to the job done by E Sreedharan's team in Delhi. The latter ensured there was very little inconvenience in Delhi. The former doesn't give a hoot.

My latest experience with a company run by Anil Ambani takes the cake. Reliance was one of the first mobile operators to introduce 3G services in Bombay. I subscribed to their service yesterday and the number was activated in an hour. Good service so far. Overnight, I was horrified to see that the 1000 rupees I paid to a Reliance retail outlet was not credited to my account. The same outlet in Andheri (West) only gave me a receipt after I was forceful. They also refused to give me their phone number!! So when I called up Reliance customer care, they said, they have no record of the transaction and that I should call back in 6 hours!! (they weren't kidding)

When I went back to the retailer, the employees were busy having chai and asked me to wait.... Wow. This is a private enterprise and not a government undertaking! Finally, they ensured that the transactions were completed!! But my balance showed as Rs 100 and the Rs 899 I paid for 3 GB of Internet was no where to be seen. When I asked the shop employees, they made me call Reliance Customer Care, where the lady at the other end of the phone denied the existence of a Rs 899 plan!! This was followed by a heated argument between the shop employee and customer care.

So how do I know what my 3G balance is? Customer care refuses to answer as I am using a non-existent plan and the shop employees have no clue. They then suggested I use the net and disconnect and then see if my Rs 100 balance has changed. It turns out that it hasn't. So I guess, I used some of my 3 GB.

I heard that Reliance Communication is having major financial problems.. Gee.. I wonder why? So for those of you in Bombay that really want 3G services on your phone, hang on a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment