Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dealing with beggars

We've all heard stories about how beggars are trained in the "art" and they just get a commission on the money they earn, while their "pimp" (used for lack of a better word) gets most of the money. I am pretty sure that most of this is true. Which is why particular streets and signals are demarcated for some sets of beggars.

Once in a while though, even the most hardened end up witnessing a scene that they just can't ignore. In a first class compartment of a local train, I saw a blind, old beggar. The man was coughing so badly that I suspect he had tuberculosis. He must have been well past 70 and this is what his life came down to. I never ever give money to beggars, especially young children, but here I just couldn't bare the thought of not giving some change.

My father once told me of a blind beggar who he gave money to in 1964. The man came to the same bank where my father was working and deposited his earnings. He had 60,000 rupees in his account. This was at a time when a bank officer earned 600 rupees a month! I somehow don't think the sick old man I saw on the train was that lucky.

2 comments:

  1. I do give money to some beggars and never regret doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't regret giving that blind man money at all. It was just small change.

    ReplyDelete