Monday, January 24, 2011

Dhobi Ghat

I am not much into film reviews per say but I was moved enough by Dhobi Ghat to write down my thoughts. Without question, I can say that this was a very-well made film and most things that bear the stamp of Aamir Khan are of high quality.

Dhobi Ghat tracks the lives of four people in this maddening megapolis, a rich Indian girl from America on a sabbatical, a dhobi (washerman), an artist and a young women from UP, who is married to a man working in the city. This movie shows Bombay the way it is. The monsoon rains, Ganesh Chathurthi, Ramzan at Mohammed Ali Road, the trains, the slums, the rich parties, the spoilt brats, the headache that comes with changing flats.

If ever there was a mirror of life in this city,  it is this film. It made me realise how much I love and hate my hometown at the very same time. Prateik who played the Dhobi was by far the star of the show and I wish that young and talented actor a great career.

On another note, I would like to clear a misconception in many parts of the world that slum-dwellers in the city are lazy, dirty, thieving criminals. Nothing could be farther from the truth. While I don't deny that these kind of elements do live in the slums, a large number of people who live there work several jobs just to make ends meet. They send their children to school and have a dignity and attitude to life that should shame the lot of us "privileged" folks.

Here's a salute to the people, without whom, this city would collapse. Yes, it's the government that has failed you by not being to create a decent and affordable living environment. 

2 comments:

  1. Ironic that the actor playing the Dhobi is the son of a famous actor. Guess it took a great effort for the man to play a role that wasn't him by any means

    ReplyDelete