Monday, January 10, 2011

Home gardens

Very few cities in the world have as much of a shortage of space as Bombay does. Most of us are cramped into our tiny apartments and have way too many things to fit in to the living space but there's one area that is under-utilised in this city: Balconies and window-sills. 

For whatever reason, people haven't realised the value of having mini-gardens at home. I was the beautiful botanical nursery at Bhavan's College, when I decided that I needed to have some all-season flowering plants on my window-sill and balcony to go along with medicinal plants and certain vegetables. Somewhere I read that Mexico City's residents have turned into farmers and grow a large quantity of food in their windows, terraces and balconies. 

So I take the plunge this week. I have to admit, I love turning to my right ever so often, when I am sitting here, to look at the beautiful violet and pink flowers on my window-sill. A stark reminder that the city was once a tropical paradise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment