Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Back to my first love

When I rid my body of this viral fever, cold, assorted pains and weakness, I am going back to my first love: basketball. I love hoops. I can play basketball for hours without feeling even slightly tired and I am lucky enough to have a decent court at the Andheri YMCA.

Growing up in Queens, New York, in the late 1980s, I used to spend my entire Saturday at a basketball court pretending to be John Starks or Patrick Ewing. I definitely had more of a John Starks kind of game and loved playing tenacious defense.

The Andheri YMCA is a wonderful place to play and I love looking up at the trees after posting a lay-up. The 3 on 3 games that go on there are as brutal and warlike as my games with the homies in Flushing. I can get in a good  two hours of hoops everyday as soon as I am fit. That might keep the weight off my body over the next few months.

Here's a wonderful tribute to John Starks, my childhood idol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRVr10i28Kw

No comments:

Post a Comment