Sunday, September 5, 2010

Ramzan treats at Bhendi Bazaar

I was very apprehensive about taking photographs at Bhendi Bazaar during the Ramzan evening festivities but decided to take my camera along anyway. The highlight of my trip there wasn't the photography but the amazing food. I had my heart's content of haleem, a delicious and spicy soup available only in the holy month. I also had kababs, malpuwa and falooda.

The atmosphere near the Minara Mosque is electric and I was touched by the friendliness of the locals. Not only were they open to me photographing their area but many of them wanted to be photographed. In fact, even the women were keen to be photographed. So much for the stupid stereotypes and fears that I had.

I am so proud of the diversity of this wonderful city. I was transported to another world yesterday evening but at the same time, I was right at home. The "differences" between people of different communities is a fabrication of the media, manipulated by opportunistic politicians.

Bombay- I love you.

P.S. Some of the pics can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7444188@N05/

No comments:

Post a Comment