Thursday, June 25, 2020

Like a southern Russian summer

I can safely say that has been the most beautiful June in Bombay in living memory. The rains arrived in the city on the first of the month, thanks to Cyclone Nisarga and we've had a decent amount of rainfall, but the days have been gloriously sunny with the cloud and winds making sure it doesn't get too hot.

This month in Bombay has felt like a summer month in southern Russia. Instead of dacha duty, I have been trying to use the daylight as well as I can by playing wall tennis for any period between 30 minutes and an hour. It feels so good to move my body in such beautiful weather, supported by cool breeze and fresh and clean air.


When I look up, I see blue skies, warm sun and grey clouds, and of course a canopy of a banyan tree! My building compound is blessed with Ashoka trees, a Banyan canopy and a Gulmohur canopy. It's easy to look up and totally forget that I actually live in one of the most densely populated cities in the world.



This bliss, like all things in this physical realm, is passing. Soon the monsoon rains will lash Bombay and my wall tennis may be curtailed.

For as long as I can, I'll enjoy this Southern Russian summer, fuelled with some outdoor activity, Chekhov, Shakespeare, Dostoyevsky and Malayalam literature, as well as mint tea, the last Alfonso mangoes of 2020. 

No comments:

Post a Comment