Monday, June 8, 2020

Dealing with uncouth and degenerate neighbours in Andheri

I am quite fortunate to live in a fairly nice locality in Andheri West. A metro station is just outside my gate, but far enough from my flat to not disturb the peace and quiet. The Bhavan's College campus is 300 metres away by foot and a lot closer as the crow flies. A building just in front of me was torn down in the last weeks of 2017 and nature has managed to take over with wild grass and a Gulmohur tree that is blessing the plot with orange-red flowers this summer.

How does the yin and yang factor play out with all this? With my neighbours of course! For years these people have resisted carrying out structural repairs on this 50-year old building, so cracks have begun to appear on everyone's bedroom and kitchen walls. There is also the issue of monsoon leaks, for which the degenerates have found a solution in tarpaulin sheets! Essentially the black sheets that hang over the top floor of the building look like garbage bags!

Not happy with the pure and clear air that the lockdown has managed to create in Bombay by default, the uncouth top-floor dwellers want hot tar to be applied to their outer walls. When they have garbage bags to protect themselves, why pollute the air and make the walls look ugly I wonder?

The answer to this lies in the fact that these people get some sort of trivial pressure when they get under someone else's skin. They have a problem with my window sill and balcony plants and also with the saplings I have planted in common areas. I told them they'd regret touching my plants and trees if they did make an attempt, so my minor contribution to the environment is safe for now.  These people of course have no problem for using the terrace and common areas for putting their junk!

I so realise that it's a drastic difference in mindset that puts me at odds with some of these degenerates, but guess what, I am not going anywhere! (They are a bunch of racists as well, and can't stand to see my foreign guests).

Out of 16 members in this housing society, there are a few good members. I so do value them.
The trouble makers want every member of this society to sell their flats, so that a builder can buy the land and give everyone a large sum of black money. My simple advice to these people is to sell and go. Maybe a more decent set of people will buy their flats?

After years of disagreements and hate-filled society meetings, it has been decided to do the necessary renovations for the building. Hopefully people will get really serious once the monsoons are over. I don't fancy painting and renovating my interiors only for everything to be spoiled later by structural repairs outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment