Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Great challenge of running in Bombay in the monsoons

On the one hand, it is a lot easier to run when the hot Bombay sun is hidden behind clouds, but the monsoons pose a challenge to someone who wants to run on Juhu Beach. The storm water drains basically empty out this season and the beach is utterly filthy. I saw a municipal crew cleaning up the stretch from the Godrej Bungalow up to Hotel Citizen, but the rest of the beach is so disgustingly dirty that it is impossible to run there until October!

In 2011, I had the wonderful second option of the Bhavan's College campus behind my house, but the authorities decided to close it off to outsiders under 60. That leaves me with the Andheri Sports Complex. It isn't exactly the most inspiring place for a run but is reasonably clean. When I cross the finish line at the Datarang Merdeka in a few months, I will remember these early struggles.  

1 comment: