Saturday, June 29, 2013

Some courtesy please

Immigration officers in Bombay were at one time, mean and intrusive. After all, the authorities deputed Maharashtra Police officers, who automatically assumed that all citizens are potential criminals. Things have thankfully changed for the better over the years.

When I recently flew out of the international airport, I was stuck in a queue for about 40 minutes, since a large group of pilgrims were flying out to Saudi Arabia for the Haj. Many of them didn't fill out their immigration forms and the understaffed immigration had to deal with large numbers.

Many of those in the queue were cursing the immigration and calling them incompetent. The man behind me was very early for his flight and I assume many of them cribbing were as well. The stressed officer who checked my passport was not having a nice day, but a simple good morning from my end brought out a smile and how are you.

He told me he was sick of grumpy travellers being mean to him and that it was finally nice to see a smile...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment