Thursday, April 12, 2012

Vienna: A city of coffee houses

When it comes to warm beverages, coffee defeats tea hands down in Vienna. The Viennese do love their coffee and a nice cake to go with it. Coffee houses are institutions in Vienna that go a long way back. Once you order a cup of coffee, you can get as many refills of drinking water as you want. The idea is to get some coffee and read a complete selection of newspapers.

Cafe Pruckel has Die Presse and Das Bild, to go with several German and foreign newspapers, including the Financial Times. Each of Vienna's great coffee houses reek of character and have a well-preserved old world charm. I tried Pruckel, Cafe Landstadt and Cafe Sperl and my pick of the three is Cafe Sperl by a landslide.

Old World Charm: Sperl

Cafe Sperl serves the delicious Viennese Sacher Torte to go with excellent coffee, served rather lukewarm. I love the interiors of Sperl and I feel like I am in another, more elegant world. I honestly have to say that Sperl is my favourite cafe on the planet now.
Sacher Torte: More than a cake!





The cafe is another jewel in the Viennese crown. I was told of several other coffee houses in the city but obviously 3 days wasn't enough to try them all. Oddly enough, Vienna's Cafe Coffee Day is popular for those who want South Indian coffee and Indian snacks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment