Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Clubbing in Vienna

It was well past midnight on Saturday and since winter was over, there were quite a few people out on the streets of Vienna. I did want to see what the club scene was like in Vienna, so we decided to drop in at Flex, a trendy club by the Danube canal. Here is a disclaimer: my friend and I probably the only people in there, older than 25. 

The best thing for me to do that night was to just people-watch. Never mind the fact that I was the only non-Germanic person in the club that night (at least when I entered).  I was the one doing the watching and getting a glimpse of how people party out in the Austrian capital. The music was good, drinks not too expensive and the crowd seemed to be out to socialize and not be hoolighans.

I felt like I was watching a German-language film live. Shakespeare did say that the world is a stage right? I can imagine how exotic the Austrians find India, and I find Austria equally exotic. Just a few hours before, I was at the famed Musikverein and now I was at a place that was completely at the other end of the spectrum.

So, where were the non-Germanic people of the city? Wasn't this club by the Danube canal, a good hangout? When it was time to leave, I saw a man of African descent walk in.. So the Africans also party in this district, I thought to myself, before he approached a couple near me and asked them if they wanted drugs. "African man coming into Flex to sell drugs is so cliche," a friend of mine told me the next morning. 

2 comments:

  1. You missed the good party in the outskirts of the city :-)

    ReplyDelete