Thursday, March 22, 2012

The multi-taskers of Rome

On a beautiful morning, I was walking up the hill leading to the Spagna Church and I noticed a really beautiful woman sweeping a pavement. She wasn't wearing a civic worker's uniform, so I figured that she was just a concerned citizen.

The further I walked up, the more I noticed the streets being swept in front of each shop, by different people. Rome had a dedicated citizenry or so I thought, until I saw a woman finish sweeping, then enter a shop. She then dusted indoors before opening the shop to the public. She was the shopkeeper. I guess it's too expensive to hire someone to clean a sidewalk so the shopkeepers do it themselves. Each of these women I saw on the Via Sistina were well-dressed and elegant. This is when a lightbulb hit me about the concept of dignity of labour in caste-free Europe!

Would this happen in India anytime in the next 200 years? 

No comments:

Post a Comment