Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Rome: History, beauty and energy

There is one Rome: the touristy city of the Coliseum, the Vatican and Trevi fountain. This is where hordes of tourists are bussed into everyday so that they can take their Mickey Mouse pics and brag to their neighbours.

Then there is another Rome: a vibrant, exciting and elegant city with some incredibly nice, fashionable and beautiful people. This is the Rome of the Villa Borghese, a beautiful park, which overlooks some of the city's great public squares. This is the city of charming not-so well known piazzas (squares), wonderful eateries and ice cream parlours.

Romans are a fashion and fitness conscious people. Sure, they eat a lot of delicious food but then they compensate for it by walking on the city's 7 hills and running in the wonderful Villa Borghese. I love the non-touristy Rome. It's a great city, which despite being busy is friendly. In 3 days, I picked up many random conversations with strangers on buses and the metro. My Italian language skills helped but I can safely say that the Romans are incredibly friendly and open-minded people, and it wasn't my Italian per say.

Yes, I had to handle the sensitive issue about the Italian marines, who are in Indian custody, over the alleged killings of fishermen from Kerala. I did feel a tad bit uncomfortable when I landed at the airport in Rome and saw images of the marines walking to a court in Kerala on a television screen. I played it safe and said I wasn't qualified to have an opinion on the case and that I had no affiliations what-so-ever with the Indian Government.

Rome is full of beautiful and fascinating lanes and there is so much history there that it can take years to see the whole city. There is something special in the air in the city. Something magical! Over a dinner conversation with a corporate lawyer from Abruzzo, who made Rome her home 20 years ago, I understood that Rome can put anyone in a trance. 'Ale,' who is a also a great writer, says she feels the fascination for the great city every single day, even after two decades.

Ale and I are not alone in our feelings for Rome and its azure blue skies. Among the city's greatest fans were Gogol and Pushkin, statues of whom, Ale passes every morning when she runs in the Villa Borghese.

No comments:

Post a Comment