Friday, March 9, 2012

More weirdos in Andheri

For a crowded suburb, I have often wondered why there aren't more whackos in Andheri. But as the days go by, I keep meeting/bumping into such types. Taking a diversion today through the gaothan, I walked past a small mosque. There was a pre-prayer sermon in the mosque and from what I gathered, the preacher was agitated.

As I walked ahead, a man stopped me with an 'assalam alaikum,' and I responded with the standard Arabic response. He then asked me in Urdu why I am not entering the mosque for namaz. Hoping to get rid of the guy, I said my mosque is near Bhavan's College. The man then asked me about what kind of Muslim I am to wear shorts and a t-shirt on a Friday. He rued that even Muslim boys were dressing like the Catholics!!! When I told him that there are no verses in the Koran banning shorts on Fridays, someone else intervened and politely asked me to walk away.

I have been told by many people that I look like a Muslim, but this encounter still surprised me...

No comments:

Post a Comment