Thursday, January 12, 2012

Book Review: In Search of Sita

When I was in Yogyakarta last year and watched a wonderful rendition of the Ramayana, I was ashamed that despite being from India, I didn't even know the story properly. There are various versions of the great epic, but I had a skeletal idea of the most accepted version.

'In Search of Sita,' a compilation of essays and writing on Sita and the Ramayana, edited by Malashri Lal and Namita Gokhale, is a good look into the various versions and folklore associated with the epic in India. The editors have gone through a lot of material before carefully choosing what to include in the book. A large number of these essays written by scholars such as Reba Som and Shashi Deshpande, question the broad and obedient acceptance of the actions of Lord Ram.

The most powerful of these essays is written by Mallika Sengupta and titled 'Sitayana.' Here Sita is quoted as bluntly asking her estranged husband: "You have done grave injustice on me and my sons merely on the suspicion of what may happened in Lanka. There can never be a proof. Today, if I take the oath of chastity, will you give us back those twelve years of our lives, Your Majesty?"

The book also contains valuable insights from scholars like Indira Goswami and Madhu Kishwar in a dialogue format. 

I personally could never just accept the 'excuses' made by various people for Lord Ram's mistreatment of his wife. All this stemmed from a chauvanistic attitude that a vast majority of Indian men have toward women. Like in other parts of the world, women have had to fight hard to earn their rights in India, which has been by and large a sexist and patriarchal society. After reading this book, I have developed a great deal of respect and admiration for Sita, a strong, loyal and beautiful woman, who was wronged by her husband and the ever-backward society of India. 

In my pursuit to know more about the Ramayana, this book is a valuable reference point. I have decided to read a few versions of the book this year, as well watch some folk performances in different parts of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment