Saturday, September 3, 2011

An encounter with a street urchin on a train

You get so hardened by the images of rampant poverty in this city that it's difficult to be moved by anything. But once in a while you see something that is too much to handle. A few nights ago, I was heading to Mahalaxmi on a train from the suburbs. It seemed like a normal train ride on an empty first class wagon on the eve of a holiday. Then an innocent 4 or 5 year girl entered the train. The cute angel had a sparkling nose-ring but no foot wear. I assumed she was a beggar but she didn't beg. Instead she went and lay down on a seat.

The poor girl was alone and probably hungry. When I see such sites, I wonder if "God" is a sadist. In this very city, you have thousands of well-to-do childless couples who would do anything to have a child and then you have a poor innocent girl, who should be showered with love and affection, but is sleeping on a train. What was I supposed to do at that time? Just take her home and adopt her as my daughter? That would amount to kidnapping!!

The little girl also got off at Mahalaxmi. I stopped her and asked her where her mother was. No response. I then bought her a chocolate and left the station. It pains me immensely that, this was as far as I could go. We really need to something about this f****d-up country!

No comments:

Post a Comment