Thursday, August 18, 2011

Want to change the system? Enter and change from within

I really didn't want to comment on Anna Hazare's fast and the media circus that has been going on over the last few days. One of the best ways to ignore this "tamasha" is to not switch on any of the TV news channels.

I respect Anna Hazare but if he wants a position of power, he needs to stand for elections. I don't believe that an extra-constitutional authority should have the power to dismiss a prime minister. India has an excellent constitution, which only needs minor ammendments. Reforms are required both in civil and criminal law. The focus of the government should be on such reforms.

As for the masses going for these rallies, they are clueless about what exactly Anna wants. I met a few in Juhu and when I told them about some of Anna's unreasonable demands, they refused to believe me... If you're going to a protest, at least have some knowledge of what it is you are demanding!!!

Having said that, I solely blame the Congress Party for turning India into a corrupt and poverty-stricken country. The party, which was formed to get India independence, should have been disbanded after it met its main objective. However, I agree with Home Minister P. Chidambaram who said today that citizens only have the right to vote and not to make laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment