Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Sacred Night by Tahar Ben Jelloun

It's not very often that I find a book so gripping that I just have no power to stop reading. That was my welcome to the world of North African literature. The Sacred Night by Tahar Ben Jelloun is the story of a Moroccan girl raised as a boy in order to circumvent Islamic inheritance laws in the country. The father completely fails to see the psychological impact that this would have on his daughter until he is in his death bed. The narrative filled with allegorical interpretations is a haunting look at the psyche and culture of the Maghreb countries.

I've often wondered how women from conservative families in these countries feel about traditions that are chauvinistic in nature and forced down upon them. What's different about women in these countries compared to say India, is the fact that the French colonizers tried to impose liberal values in Algeria and Morocco, whereas the English wanted Indians to be more like citizens of Victorian England. So Indian conservatism blended well with Victorian English traditions, whereas, the conservative Islam of Morocco was incompatible with French values, making women from traditional families in the Maghreb countries in conflict with fellow citizens who had a liberal outlook.



Ben Jelloun is crafty in his usage of Arabic fairy tales, but the basic nature of the book is rebellious against the idea of religious conservatism. I will quote some passages from this book, which would have instantly led to its banning in India, if they reached the authorities.

"As I bent down low, I couldn't help thinking of the animal desire my body, especially in that position, would have aroused in those men if they had only known they were praying behind a woman. Not to mention the ones who start playing with themselves the moment they see any rear end thus presented, male or female."

Ben Jelloun was born in Morocco in 1944 and moved to France in 1971. I wonder what kind of sentiments the people of his native land have for him.

The book touches upon a series of issues regarding gender role, sexuality, religion and violence. The author's courage to question some norms that are accepted as the word of God, need to be commended. Yet there isn't anything that is even remotely sacrilegous in the book. The Consul, one of the main characters, says, "I like the Koran as an exquisite poem, and I detest people who exploit it like parasites and limit freedom of thought."

With this being the month of Ramzan, I can't wait for the 27th night, when the Angels of  Destiny roam the earth. I will try and get a glimpse of them as the devout among my Muslim friends pray till sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment