Monday, August 17, 2015

Hong Kong: The cost of success and development

It was a lovely summer Saturday night in Asia's World City, and I was enjoying a drink with a friend in a bar in Hong Kong Central, which had a view to die for.

As I praised the city and its infrastructure and friendly people, my Hong Konger friend asked me to turn around and look at the HSBC building. He said there were less people working there at this time because it was a Saturday, but five days a week, I'd see people there and in many other offices even at 11 pm.

12-hour working days are a norm in Hong Kong since it's just the way things are done! An expat couple I spoke to said they were also thrown into this rat race from day one and slept properly only on weekends! Finally, one of them managed to switch to free lancing, while the other somehow found a lower paying job that involved somewhat normal hours.

Hong Kong has the best infrastructure in all of Asia, and this includes great public transport. On top of this, the city is surrounded by nature. It's a great place to live, but to enjoy these facilities, you have to give up a lot in terms of time and work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment