Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Take the bus stupid!

For the last 3 months, I have been coming home exhausted after French class every evening. It isn't so much the class that gets to me or even the train travel from Bandra to Andheri. It's the dreadful walk to my apartment from Andheri station. 

Through 75 percent of that walk, I have to encounter massive crowds, pot holes, hawkers and vegetable vendors of all kinds, bikes, rickshaws, broken sewer pipes and open sewage, all in the backdrop of construction activity for the metro. The walk, often on rainy days, zaps me of every bit of energy I have. But yesterday I decided to do something different and what a difference it made! I took a bus from Bandra and came home another way. Instead of the chaos of Andheri station, I walked through the tranquility of the Bhavans College Campus. Greenery, peace, and a nice walker's path replaced my daily dosage of madness. I managed to get home the same time as I would have if I took the train. 

This doesn't mean that I should be an ostrich and not take on the municipal authorities to fix up the area around the station. But for the next 5 weeks, I can have a peaceful walk home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment