Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Double-Decker buses

The red double-decker buses are an icon of Bombay. The authorities wanted to phase them out but relented when they were faced with pressure from citizens' groups.

I, for one, love the rickety buses and which is why I am thrilled that there is a direct double-decker bus from the Santa Cruz station to the university. One of the greatest pleasures in Bombay is to sit in the front seat of a double-decker's upper deck. Yesterday was the first time in years I could do so.

The French course at the university is interesting, all the more so, because of an experienced professor who seems to possess the grace, dignity, kindness and patience that is a requisite of being a good instructor. The class is a mixed-bag with some knowing more French than the course will cover and others who have no business in the room.

I can't think of a better way to start off Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays for the next year than being in that wonderful learning environment.

2 comments:

  1. Man, I never traveled by a double-decker in Bombay!.. Next time I visit Bombay, please take me with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dogovirilis. It's an awesome feeling. We'll take one on Marine Drive at night.

    ReplyDelete