Sunday, July 12, 2020

Exercising in the monsoons

I know of people who love to go on night runs in the rains during the monsoons. I tried this a few years ago, but somehow the combination of sweat, rain water and mosquito bites was not to my liking.

I usually either shift my workout to a purely indoor one or just not exercise at all during the monsoons. Walking outside with my heavy rubber fisherman's boots does help me burn more calories though.

This year, however, i have decided to be a bit smarter and adjust my workouts around the weather. We've had a beautiful July with ample rains and sunshine mixed with heavy and cool winds. When the conditions permit I go down and play wall tennis with intermittent rope jumping sessions. The latter sucks my energy, but is a great exercise.  When I do play wall tennis, there are occasional passing showers but I am OK with that.  It's the feel of the fresh and clean breeze that energises me to play longer.

Every workout is followed with yoga and meditation. I am not sure how long I can keep this up, but I don't pressure myself at all. This is the greatest advantage of living in the present moment. Take things a day at a time...

As long as this lockdown continues, we can keep breathing fresh air. There's no substitute for that at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment