Sunday, September 20, 2015

Drunk Central Asian on the metro

Over the last fortnight, I have been using the Moscow metro every single day and have felt absolutely safe.  There was one small incident though, yesterday, which is actually funnier than it is scary.

It's a long held stereotype in Russia that Asians cannot hold their drink. As I was heading home on Sunday night,  I heard someone screaming in Russian. I could make out from the accent that the person was not a native Russian speaker. The man in question was a Central Asian in his 20s. He was piss drunk and was creating a racket. One passenger pressed a button to alert the driver that there was a problem, but no policeman showed up as the train passed three stations.

Then a big and strong Russian man entered the wagon and told the drunk to sit and shut up.  When he started shouting again, the man grabbed his arm and was ready to throw him out at the next station, but the drunk begged him not to.  Finally the drunk and the strong man both got off at the same station as I did.

Russians are much better at holding their drinks, although in the past I have seen worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment