Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Observations from municipal election day in Andheri

It was nice to see people from my building, who have a dubious reputation when it comes to civic responsibilty actually going to Sardar Patel Engineering College to vote in the municipal elections. At 7:35 am, we were among the first people to be there to cast our democratic resposibility.

My job was made easier, when a letter from Team Anna Hazare told me all I needed to know about the Congress goons trying to win the seat in my constituency. Besides the usual corruption allegations, I found out that the man who handed the ticket to the Congress party candidate is none other than local MLA Bhau Jadhav, the same man paying the legal fees of the killer thugs who murdered Keenan Santos and Reuben Fernandes. While all politicians may be corrupt, the least I could do was ensure that I don't support a man or a party that pays for the defence of molestors and killers!

On my way back home from the Bhavan's College campus, I saw a large group of Muslim women in burkhas walking towards the polling booth. They were literally being herded there like sheep by men in 2 motorcycles. They were being instructed to not talk to anyone and to vote for the "haath. (hand and symbol of the Congress)" This was the first time I saw a group of barely literate people being led to vote some where en masse.

My vote may not make a huge difference in the outcome of the municipal elections, but at least I was able to lodge some protest against the corrupt, communal and casteist Congress party, whose members openly support murderers and rapists!

No comments:

Post a Comment