Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Terror strikes Mumbai again

17 people woke up in Bombay on July 13 without knowing that this was their last day on earth. They went about their daily routines, rushed to work and went through the motions like it was just another day. Only it wasn't! 17 famillies will never see a loved one again, 17 famillies shattered forever by an evil act. For these people, the pain is permanent, things will never be the same for them again.

I love going to Dadar's Plaza Cinema to watch "masala" Bollywood movies like Dabang. It's more about enjoying the crowd's reaction to the movie than the movie itself. I can't count the number of times I have walked outside Dadar station through that busy area. It just wasn't my time to go. That's the only way I can put it.

This city is so crowded that it is easy for hate-filled monsters to carry out their agenda. Those who do these kinds of things in the name of religion, do their religion a terrible disservice. Frankly, I would sum up these blasts as another intelligence failure. Improvised Explosive Devices were used and not every roadside fanatic has the ability to make these.

I am over the shock of yesterday, as everyone close to me is out of harm's way. I switched off the television after watching the initial reports as the electronic media has made a circus of the incident. They should not be allowed near the site, as crowds form and forensic evidence is destroyed.  I also didn't want to hear the oft-repeated 'Spirit of Mumbai' garbage. Life goes on as normal, because we don't have a choice. A vast majority of people live in this city because it is only here that they can make a decent livelihood. If people don't go about their normal routines after such incidents then they won't be able to feed their families and pay the bills.

I know these blasts aren't the last we'll witness in this city. And I know that when my time is up, I'll go, whether it's on account of bomb blasts or something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment